The Texas Legislature only meets for 5 months every 2 years. Due to the condensed time frame, the sheer volume of bills can be dizzying, and covering them and knowing what fresh hell the Texas GOP and the mega-wealthy lobbies behind them are trying to push through can be hard to keep track of.
We’re doing our best to keep the process out in the daylight. First, have a look at our Intro to the Texas Legislature Online here, get familiar with the site, and create an account.
Once you’ve created an account, create a list of bills you’d like to track. Here’s how:
1. Navigate your web browser to the Texas Legislature Online:
2. Click on “My TLO”.
3. Click “Bill List”.
4. You’ll be prompted to sign in. If you haven’t already, create an account – it’s simple to do, just make sure you use a secure password and that the email account you use has Two-Factor Authentication enabled.
5. Enter a name for your Bill List and a brief description. Then click “Create”. You should then be able to Edit your Bill List.
6. Enter the numeric name of the bill you’d like to track in the left field and a brief description for your own reference (Such as, “HB1261” and “We support-would prohibit charter schools from discrimination against students on basis of their discipline history in admission policy”)
7. Once you’ve entered your desired bills, click “Save”, then click “Run”. You may then download your list of bills as a pdf if you’d like.
And that’s it! You’re up and running. Let us know how it goes in the Comments!